Wednesday, September 5th, 2018
- Today is the Feast Day of St. Teresa of Calcutta
|Rib on Bun
|Corn dog or burrito
- Early Dismissal tomorrow at 1pm. This is a Spirit Dress day.
- Faculty Meeting begins promptly @ 1:30 tomorrow in the Music Room.
- Juniors & Seniors: If you have not yet received the Sacrament of Confirmation the time to sign up is now. The reception of this third sacrament of initiation is very important in your spiritual development as young Catholics. We hope that you will strongly consider being a part of this program. Please get your paperwork and money to Mrs. Bolin ASAP!
- Juniors & Seniors: If you are enrolled in dual credit courses, please turn in your applications and tuition money to Mrs. Buckley ASAP.
- There will be an NJHS meeting in Ms. Tague’s room immediately after school tomorrow (Thursday).
- STUCO will meet Friday, Sept. 7th in Mrs.Howell’s room for lunch, bring your lunch with you! We will be making committee assignments.
- If you are interested in babysitting during the Strategic Growth Plan meeting Sunday, Sept. 9 from 6-8pm, please sign up in the office.
- There will be a cheer meeting Monday morning during homeroom in Mrs. Starke’s room.
The Grems play Sweet Springs in a home match tomorrow night. Varsity first serve is at 5:30. JV will play after Varsity.
The varsity girls next action is on Tuesday, the 11th when they travel to Warrensburg for a triangular match @ Hidden Pines Golf Course.
The varsity boys next action is tonight in the semi-final round of the Clinton Tournament. The Grems take on the Raytown Bluejays in a 5pm kickoff.
The Gremlin JH Soccer team will open their season on Thursday, Sept. 13 @ Green Ridge.
The JH Girls team will open their season on Tuesday, Sept. 11 @ home vs the Lincoln Cardinals.
The JH Football team will open their season this evening vs the Northwest Mustangs. Kickoff is at 6pm in Hughesville.
Varsity Soccer Highlights
Coming off a 2-1 loss to a quality Class 2 Maryville team, the young Gremlin’s hoped to continue to build on their season in the 3rd Place game at the Barstow Tournament. Unfortunately, for the Gremlins, inexperience, and youth reared its ugly head and the Gremlins gave up a season-high of five goals.
The first half was characterized by an extremely slow start by the Gremlins and a Barstow team that played with heart and desire. Constantly defending, the Gremlins showed little offense and failed to control the midfield. A great play by our Junior center back, Jude Rollings, kept the score at 1-0 by halftime.
The second half began with the Gremlins regaining mid-field control and constantly threatening up top. Just 9 minutes into the half, Dylan Elwood (1) received a pass from Francisco Rojas and scored the equalizer. Unfortunately, before the Gremlins could even stop celebrating, the referee blew his whistle and the Barstow player shot the ball from half line, chipping Senior Goal Keeper, Easton Webb. After Barstow converted a loose ball off a corner kick into a goal, the Gremlins managed to close the gap with a deflection goal by Dallin Chappell (4). Barstow’s relentless pressure and ability to continually win 50/50 balls proved the deciding factor though, and the Gremlins fell to 2-2 on the season.
The loss was especially disappointing in the eyes of Coach Jones, “Being beat by a more skillful team is acceptable, but when effort and a will to win decides the game, that is truly unacceptable. Effort and Heart are the calling card of this Gremlin’s team, and we won’t repeat this type of performance.” The Gremlins will travel to the Clinton Tournament and open Wednesday night against the tournament host’s Clinton.
The Sacred Heart Varsity volleyball team lost to California 25-20 and 25-17 on Tuesday night. The Gremlins held an early lead in the first set and held a 17-13 lead late into the game. From there the Pinto’s took advantage of defensive lapses to outscore the Gremlins 12-3, to steal the win.
Kylie Beykirch has five kills in 12 swings, two digs, and four assists.
Madison McClain had 11 kills, 12 digs, and three blocks.
Grace Goodwin had four digs and ten assists.
Zoe Volcko had four kills and nine digs.
The JV volleyball team also lost their match 16-25 and 12-25.